Johnny Flynn Interview and to play in Minneapolis 9/21
1. What gives you more pleasure writing poems, performing shows, or acting in films?
Johnny: Each one gives me more pleasure when i've been doing more of the others. if you know what i mean. at the moment i've been pretty much exclusively gigging for ages it seems so i'm looking forward to doing some acting.
2. If Shakespeare was alive, what would you say to him? Would he compliment your work?
I have no idea! how on earth would i know if he'd compliment my work?
3. Any plans to tour the U.S., I'm assuming you've been to SXSW already??
We've actually just got to Boston to start a tour here for the next month or so.
4. Your vocals along with Charlie Fink (Noah and the Whale) are extremely deep with a dynamic punch, where does that come from?
eh? if that's what it is, then...i don't know where it "comes" from. my mouth.
5. Excited for the new record? Where does the album title come from, "A Larum", aka an alarm?
The old sense of "a larum" i.e a town warning bell seemed a good image to present for the album. it's not so much a warning as a calling to attention in my understanding of it.
6. Assuming Lille Flynn is your sister or cousin? Does she have plans for solo work?
She's off singing with Noah and the Whale at the moment. i think she's also got some acting auditions coming up, so that's her solo work.
7. My dream American tour would be Noah and the Whale, Laura Marling, and of course the great Johnny Flynn and The Sussex Wit, will that ever happen?
Maybe... we're actually with laura and mumford and sons at the moment for this tour. and noah and the whale are on their own tour at the same time.
8. "Tickle Me Pink" has gotten a lot of attention and is pushing into the mix of songs of year. Are hit singles important to you, or are you just concerned about putting together a great record?
I'm more interested in putting together a good record as a whole, but the singles sometimes help people come to the record. i think it's important to know that, even if you're not too concerned with commercial success. you do need to sell records in order to keep doing what you love doing.
Check out Johnny Flynn and Laura Marling on Sunday Sep. 21st at the 400 Bar!!!!!!!!!!!!