Here they are! The top 10 concerts of 2006!!!!
1. Phoenix @ The Fineline Music Cafe 7/24/2006
2. Starsailor @ The Varsity Theater 9/20/2006
3. Imogen Heap @ First Avenue 12/15/2006
4. The Villains of Verona @ The Metro(Chicago) 1/23/2006
4. Arctic Monkeys @ The Metro(Chicago) 3/18/2006
5. Regina Spektor @ The Varsity Theater 10/20/2006
6. The Futureheads @ The Varsity Theater 7/30/2006
7. Mew/Kasabian @ The Fineline Music Cafe 10/5/2006
8. Editors/StellaStar* @ The Fineline Music Cafe 4/18/2006
9. Brandi Carlile @ The Varsity Theater 6/3/2006
10. Tahiti 80 @ The 400 Bar 11/14/2006
*All other shows in Minneapolis
Honorable Mention/Basically a Tie at #10
10. Eisley @ The Varsity Theater 4/2/2006
10. KT Tustall @ The Varsity Theater 1/25/2006
10. The Blue Van @ First Avenue 10/28/2006
10. Harvey Danger @ The 400 Bar 9/29/2006
10. Corrine Bailey Rae @ The Varsity Theater 8/30/2006
10 Matt Kearney @ The Varsity Theater 11/1/2006
*The Subways at the Empty Bottle(Chicago) would of been on my list but the owner made me sit by the door(inside so I could at least meet the band, your basic asshole.)
Craig M.(The Godfather of British music)
1. Corrine Bailey Rae, August, Varsity Theater, (Believe the hype the new Billie Holiday)
2. KT Tunstall,January, Varsity Theater Scot's Rule, (2006 Brit Awards Winner for best female solo artist)
3. Imogen Heap, May, Varsity Theater (Regal Brit dazzles the Varsity crowd.)
4. Ray Davies, April, First Avenue, (Ray gets to play his brilliant kinks b-sides.)
5. Kasabian, October, The Fineline (Kolossal!!!)
6. Zero 7, September, The Fineline (Sia and Jose Gonzales gives this band an amazing range of musical styles)
7. The Rakes, July, The Varsity Theater (The Streets of come to Minneapolis)
8. Los Abandoned/Figurines/Birdmonster/La Rocca/Planes for Spaces, October, 400 Bar (While most of was at the First Avenue show for the Hold Steady, the lucky few got to see this mini-festival for $7.00!!
9. Camera Obscura, July, Varsity Theater (Scots Rule Again!)
10. Art Brut, March, The Entry (Ready Art Brut)
*I did see Supergrass in Austin but I wanted to keep all my shows in
2. Kasabian (Metro, Chicago)
3. The Rakes (Varsity Theatre, Minneapolis)
4. The Rapture/The Presets (Metro, Chicago)
5. Mystery Jets/The Spinto Band (Electric Ballroom, London)
6. The Strokes/Adam Green (Hammersmith Apollo, London)
7. Hot Chip (Metro, Chicago)
8. Juanes (Shepherd's Bush Apollo, London)
9. Dirty Pretty Things (Kentish Town Forum, London)
10.Muse (State Theatre, Minneapolis)
1/ The Subways @ Festival Aug 06
*Almost every show is in England if you didn't figure it out.
Steve E.(The Rock N Roll Star)
1 The Raconteurs live @ First Avenue 8/3/06
2 Art Brut live @ 7th Street Entry 3/28/06
3 Arctic Monkeys live @ Metro 3/18/06 / Wiltern 6/3/06
4 Gogol Bordello live @ Fine Line 4/7/06
5 Diplo / CSS live @ Varsity Theater 7/31/06
6 The Alarmists / WLR live @ Varsity Theater 6/9/06
7 Ice Cube live @ First Avenue 5/4/06
8 The Flaming Lips / Sonic Youth / The Magic Numbers live @ State Fair 8/24/06
9 Birdmonster / Los Abandoned / La Rocca live @ 400 Bar 10/24/06
10 Pet Shop Boys live @ Orpheum Theatre 10/28/06
11 Stellastarr* / Editors live @ Fine Line 4/18/06
12 Metric live @ First Avenue 4/10/06
13 Elbow live @ Quest Room
14 Sigur Ros live @ Orpheum Theatre 5/8/06
15 live @ Triple Rock 10/14/06
16 Phoenix live @ Fine Line 7/24/06
17 Muse live @ State Theater 7/26/06
18 Husky Rescue live @ Turf Club 8/2/06
19 Silversun Pickups / The Alarmists live @ 7th Street Entry
20 Kasabian / Mew live @ Fine Line 10/5/06
*I said 10 but 20 works to.
Erik S.(Main Bookie and sound guy at the Infamous Varsity Theater)
10. Pete Yorn - Varsity
9. Devotchka - Varsity
8. Radiohead - Bonnaroo
7. The Cat Empire - Varsity
6. The Hold Steady - First Ave
5. SIA - Varsity
4. Cloud Cult/Halloween - Varsity
3. Atmosphere - Bonnaroo
2. Regina Spektor - Varsity
1. Gnarls Barkley - First Ave
Amy K. (One who enjoys the best shows)
1. Pet Shop Boys @ the Orpheum Theatre October 28, 2006
2. The Cribs @ the Northrup April 20, 2006
3. The Charlatans @ 1st Avenue May 25, 2006
4. Sigur Ros @ the Orpheum Theatre May 8, 2006
5. Ghostland Observatory @ Varsity August 18, 2006
6. Mobius Band @ 7th Street Entry October 19, 2006
7. Jens Lekman @ Triple Rock July 28, 2006
8. Matt Pond PA @ Varsity February 21, 2006
9. South @ Varsity April 17, 2006
10. The Stills @ Varsity April 14, 2006
1. @ Triple Rock October 14, 2006
2. Editors @ Fine Line April 18, 2006
3. Husky Rescue @ Turf Club August 2, 2006
Erik T(Future editor for my music blog)
10. Belle and Sebastian w/New Pornographers
Despite the fact that fans were reluctant to actually dance to B&S, these Scots put on one enjoyable show in support of their best album in years. Plus, touring with the New Porno's was a great combination. A delightful musical experience.
9. The Decemberists 11.12.06-First Avenue Even with Colin Meloy feeling a touch under the weather(which even prompted an impromptu band/crowd singalong of 'You are my sunshine' while Colin 'left the stage for a bit') the show was incredible based on the strength of the songs from 'The Crane Wife', my choice for Album of the Year. Not as theatrical as their past performances, but a great show nonetheless.
8. Muse 07.26.06-State Theatre By far the loudest show I saw all year, the lads from Muse brought the histrionics and and hysteria that has made them one of the biggest bands in the UK to the State for a great show in support of one of the most radically different rock records released in the last few years, 'Black Holes and Revelations.' My hearing will never be quite the same. And my girlfriend really loved Matt Belamy's red pants.
7. Secret Machines 10.12.06 -First Avenue An In-The-Round show that made me wish all First Ave shows were done this way. The texas three-piece brought their own stage set up on the main floor, complete with their own light show and sound system, and the fans circled around them on the floor. The sound was crystal clear, and it was nice to be that close to the band as soon as you walked in.
6. Common 02.23.06-First Avenue Not only one of my favorite shows of the year, but one of the best Hip-Hop shows I've ever seen. Most emcee's struggle for clarity on their rhymes during live performances, especially when they are running around and dancing on stage, but Chicago's own Common Sense spits his rhymes with a clearness and an energy that blew up First Ave. I actually saw a minneapolis crowd dancing during this show.
5. The Hold Steady 10.24.06-First Avenue This homecoming show for Craig Finn and the boys was truly a party from start to finish. You can tell that it meant something to Craig to sell out First Ave, a place he's been coming to since he was 15. Touring for a great 'Boys and Girls in America' record, this NY band had as much fun on stage as their fans did in the crowd. Plus, when are you ever going to hear a lead singer dedicate a song to Twins pitcher Pat Neshak?
4. The Raconteurs 08.03.06 -First Avenue 'We're still friends, right?' Jack White asked the sold out crowd at the Ave. Of course we are, especially when you and your band deliver such an incendiary show. It was great to hear Jack's songs fleshed out with a full band behind him, and Brendan Benson and his catchy pop songs blended perfectly in the mix. Jack always plays a great show in Minneapolis, and this one was no exception.
3. Yeah Yeah Yeah's 04.16.06-First Avenue Simply put, Karen O is electric on stage. And she can fit an entire microphone in her mouth. What's not to love. Touring behind the fantastic 'Show Your Bones' this NY three-piece brought the rock and the circumstance. They tore up the stage and looked quite fashionable doing it. A great set.
2. The Flaming Lips/Sonic Youth 08.24.06-Minnesota State Fair Grandstand The Lips at the Fair. No way? I believe those were my exact words when I heard about this show. The monsoon-like conditions the day of the show had me convinced it was going to be canceled-but the sky parted and the party started soon afterwards. Sonic Youth warmed up our ears with a great show in support of 'Rather Ripped', followed by the spectacle that is the Flaming Lips live show. A wonderful night for the people that braved the rain.
1. TV On The Radio w/Grizzly Bear 10.08.06-
First Avenue As unique a band as there is in the music industry, brought their one and only sonic assault to the Ave, and I left awestruck. Touring behind one of the best albums I've heard in years, these Brooklynites didn't disappoint. They owned the stage, and had the crowd enraptured from start to finish. By far and away,the best of the 40 or so shows I saw this year.